The Mensa Foundation Scholarship Program awards more than $150,000 in assistance every year to college-bound students around the globe. Scholarships are awarded based solely on 550-word essays expressing applicants’ academic and professional goals and how their personal experiences will help them to accomplish those goals.
The U.S. scholarship program relies on approximately 450 dedicated volunteers around the country, with support from the Foundation’s office staff. U.S. applicants need not be Mensa members. However, college-bound Mensa members and their dependents may also be eligible for one of several $2,500 scholarships awarded each year through the Mensa Member Scholarship Program.
The International Scholarship Program is open to international Mensans (other than American Mensa). One scholarship, which also includes dependents of international Mensa members, is for those attending college in the United States. The other scholarships are for international Mensans attending college other than in the U.S.
Additional Selection Criteria
There are two requirements for applicants:
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program in an accredited U.S. institution of higher learning during the academic year following the application date.
- Applicants must submit an application and essay explaining his or her career, academic and/or vocational goals.
Applicants have until Jan. 15 to write an essay of not more than 550 words explaining their career, academic and/or vocational goals and how they plan to achieve those goals. For more information, read our scholarship FAQ.
International scholarship program
The Foundation’s scholarship program bases its awards totally on essays written by the applicants explaining his or her career, academic and/or vocational goals and how they plan to achieve those goals.
The Ed Vincent international scholarship provides funds for international students enrolled at accredited colleges or universities in the United States. Eligibility is limited to Mensa members (except American Mensans) or their children/dependents.
The Mensa international scholarships provide funds for international students enrolled at accredited colleges or universities in a country other than the United States. Eligibility is limited to Mensa members (except American Mensa).
Mensa Foundation Scholarship Program application rules and guidelines
Emphasis in judging will be placed on a goal statement that includes specific information on experience or steps taken toward the goal, persuasiveness (e.g., how your past achievements/experiences and your future planning increase the probability of reaching your goal), why you think that you will succeed, and also grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Only one application is allowed per student in this scholarship competition.
- Applicants must intend to enroll in an accredited educational institution for the 2021-22 academic year.
- Applicants must complete all required information on the entry form.
- Essays must be the applicants’ original work and no more than 550 words in length.
- Essays must be entered via cut/paste on our scholarship application form on this website. Essays will be truncated to the limit specified.
- Essay submissions are stored and reviewed as “plain text” without additional markup. Please make note of this when crafting your essay.
- Applicants’ names, addresses, and other identifying information must not be included in their essays.
- By submitting the form electronically via our website, applicants provide their digital signature certifying that their information and essays are their own work and that they have read these rules and guidelines.
- Applications must be submitted online on or before 11:59 p.m., Central or 5:59, GMT, on Jan. 15, 2021.
- Application judging is done anonymously. The judges do not know who has entered the competition. If, by chance, you know a scholarship judge, do not contact that individual regarding the competition or your application may be disqualified. Instead, questions regarding the competition should be directed to Director@mensafoundation.org.
The decision of the judges is final.
For application, go to: https://www.mensafoundation.org/what-we-do/scholarships/scholarship-application-form
January 15, 2021
For the application or more information go to: