SDRA's Jerry Wheeler Scholarship Program
SDRA's Jerry Wheeler Scholarship program is designed to encourage and support students studying for a career in retailing. The scholarship program is named in honor of our former Executive Director, Jerry Wheeler, who started the program.
Scholarships ranged in amounts from $500 to $1,600. The applicant who receives the top score from our Scholarship Committee also receives a $500 scholarship in memory of our Past President Tom Morrison of Rapid City, who died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) in June of 2015.
Varies — $500 to $1,600
Additional Selection Criteria
1. RETAIL FIELD OF STUDY
To be eligible, applicant must be enrolled in or planning to enroll in a retail-related course of study at a technical school, college or university, or other trade school in the fall of the application year. Enrollment in an online program is acceptable if applicant meets other eligibility requirements. Internships do not qualify.
Examples of areas of study considered to be retail-related may include (but are not be limited to): Accounting, Agribusiness (this would be retail agribusiness, not operation of a farm or ranch), Apparel Merchandising, Auto Mechanics, Automotive Technology, Business Administration, Business Management, Collision Repair, Computer Science, Commercial Baking, Culinary Arts, Diesel Mechanics, Electrical Maintenance, Gemology, Heating/Ventilation, Hotel/Restaurant Management, Landscape Design, Pharmacy, Photography, Printing Industries, Refrigeration, Sales/Marketing Management, and Tourism Industry Management. (Note: this list is not all-inclusive).
2. SOUTH DAKOTA EDUCATION
Applicants must meet one of these requirements:
- have graduated from a South Dakota high school -OR-
- have earned a high school equivalency certificate (such as a GED) in South Dakota -OR-
- plan to attend post secondary school in South Dakota
3. CAREER IN RETAILING
Applicant must desire a career in a retail-related field.
4. COLLEGE / VOCATIONAL SCHOOL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT / WORK EXPERIENCE IN LIEU OF EDUCATION
- Applicant must have completed at least 24 credits from a qualifying college or university, or 12 credits from a qualifying tech school or certified professional training institute by September of the application year to be eligible. We are willing to consider full-time post secondary work experience in lieu of the post secondary education requirement.
- High school seniors are not eligible unless they have sufficient college or technical/trade school credits; documentation of these credits must be provided.
5. CREDIT HOURS
Students are eligible if they enroll in 12 or more credit hours at a post secondary school for the fall of the year the scholarship is awarded.
6. ONLINE SCHOOLING
Students enrolled in online studies are eligible if they meet other eligibility requirements.
7. GRADES / FINANCIAL NEED
Awards will not be based solely on financial need or grades.
8. PRIOR RECIPIENTS
Previous recipients are eligible to apply for the scholarship program.
9. SDRA SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
Children and spouses of current members of the SDRA Scholarship Committee are not eligible for consideration.
STEPS TO TAKE WHEN APPLYING
- Fill out the application on the website
- Print or type out your goals, challenges and accomplishments -OR- provide this information via YouTube video, limit of 3 minutes (see page 3 of the application)
- Request a copy of your most recent grade transcript
- Obtain two letters of reference (at least one must be from a person who currently owns or manages a business)
- Submit application, written or YouTube essay, grade transcript, and letters of reference to SDRA by mail, email or fax by the deadline
Application and all accompanying materials must be postmarked or emailed to SDRA by April 20, 2018 to be eligible for consideration.
April 20, 2018
For the application or more information go to:
- HGA and Dendel Scholarships
- Association for Women in Architecture Foundation Scholarships
- COHEAO Scholarship
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- Groza Learning Center Education Scholarship
- Healthcare Leaders Scholarship
- Tips For Writing a Scholarship Essay
- Cleantech Scholarship Program
- Giant Mommy Internet Marketing Scholarship
- American Council of the Blind Scholarship
- London Scholarship
- A Sustainable Future Through Solar Energy Scholarship
- World Trade Week College University Scholarship Application
- AATCC Foundation Scholarships
- InvestmentZen Financial Future Scholarship
- The BeArt-Presets Academic Scholarship Program
- The Ebell/Flint Scholarship
- Two Ten Higher Education Footwear Design Scholarships
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- CBC Spouses Performing Arts Scholarship
- CBC Spouses Visual Arts Scholarship
- SDRA's Jerry Wheeler Scholarship Program
- Leap Clixx Annual Marketing Scholarship
- #LiveLikeLyly Memorial Scholarship
- Groundbreaker Leadership Scholarship
- Lily Pabilona Emerging Entrepreneur Scholarship
- The Against The Grain Artistic Scholarship
- Ayn Rand 'Atlas Shrugged' Essay Contest
- Ayn Rand 'The Fountainhead' Essay Contest
- Sawinery DIY Scholarship