Scholastic Art and Writing Awards
Since 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have recognized the vision, ingenuity, and talent of our nation’s youth, and provided opportunities for creative teens to be celebrated. Each year, increasing numbers of teens participate in the program, and become a part of our community—young artists and writers, filmmakers and photographers, poets and sculptors, video game artists and science fiction writers, along with countless educators who support and encourage the creative process.
Through the Scholastic Awards, teens in grades 7 through 12 from public, private, or home schools can apply in 29 categories of art and writing for their chance to earn scholarships and have their works exhibited and published.
Gold Key: The very best works submitted to local programs are awarded Gold Keys. Gold Keys are automatically considered for national-level recognition
Silver Key: Stand-out works submitted to local programs that demonstrate exceptional ability are awarded Silver Keys.
Honorable Mention: Accomplished works submitted to local programs showing great skill and/or potential earn Honorable Mention Awards.
American Visions & Voices Nominees: Five works, from across all categories and grades, are selected from those earning Gold Keys as the “Best of Show” for each local program.
Gold Medal: The most outstanding works in the nation.
Silver Medal: Works demonstrating high honors on the national level.
American Visions & Voices Medal: One work from each local program, from the five American Voices & Visions Nominees, will earn an American Visions & Voices Medal.
Sponsored Awards: Click here to see a full list of special Awards and scholarships made possible through the support of our sponsors.
PORTFOLIO SCHOLARSHIP MEDALS
Gold Medal Portfolio
Scholarships of $10,000 presented to 16 students earning a Gold Medal for their portfolio.
Silver Medals with Distinction Portfolio
Scholarships of $1,000 presented to select students earning this award.
Additional Selection Criteria
Public, private, parochial, or home-school students in the US, Canada, or American schools abroad enrolled in grades 7 – 12 are eligible to participate in the Awards.
How do I enter work in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards?
The 2017 Scholastic Awards opens on September 14, 2016, and deadlines vary by region. You can participate in the 2017 Scholastic Awards by creating an account and uploading your work when submissions open in September.
The Scholastic Awards look for work that demonstrates technical skill, personal voice or vision, and originality. After you have created your work, uploaded it to your Scholastic Awards Account! Click HERE to see examples of works from past National Medalists.
Stamp It and Send It!After uploading your work, print your submission forms, have a parent/guardian and an educator sign them, and then mail them to your Local Program. Mailing instructions can be found on the submission form or on your LOCAL PROGRAM’S WEBPAGE.
For the application or more information go to:
- Tips For Writing a Scholarship Essay
- I. Magnin Scholarship
- Action Behavior Centers ABA Therapy Scholarship
- The Gates Scholarship
- The UncommonGoods Scholarship
- The Chairish Design Your Future Scholarship
- MJSA Scholarships
- Against the Grain Scholarships
- Inheritance of Hope Legacy Scholarship
- Horatio Alger Association Scholarships
- AKA-EAF Scholarshps
- Chester Entrepreneurship Scholarship
- The Lep Foundation Scholarships
- 1.800 Wheelchair.com Scholarship
- Bomme Studio Fashion Scholarship
- A Voice for Animals Contest
- Azazie Scholarship
- College is Power Scholarship
- Custom Creatives Digital Marketing Scholarship Program
- Defensive Driving Scholarship
- Elastic Band Co. Scholarship
- First Responders Children's Foundation Scholarships
- Krylon Clear Choice Art Scholarship
- ASIFA Hollywoods Animation Educators Forum Scholarship
- Digital Marketing Scholarship
- HelpTeaching.com Scholarship
- Abbott and Fenner Scholarship
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Foundation Scholarships
- Autism Can Do Scholarship
- Leap Clixx Annual Marketing Scholarship