NRC Research Associateship Programs
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine administers competitive graduate, postdoctoral and senior research awards on behalf of the U.S. federal research agencies and affiliated institutions with facilities at over 100 locations throughout the U.S. and abroad. Awardees have the opportunity to:
- conduct independent research in an area compatible with the interests of the sponsoring laboratory.
- devote full-time effort to research and publication.
- access the excellent and often unique facilities of the federal research enterprise.
- collaborate with leading scientists and engineers at the sponsoring laboratories.
NRC Research Associateships will be awarded on a competitive basis in 2016 for research in the fields of chemistry; earth, atmospheric, and ocean sciences; engineering, applied sciences, computer sciences and mathematics; life and biomedical sciences; and physics. Many of the laboratories are open to both U.S. citizens and foreign nationals.
Awards are initially for 12 months with renewal for a second or third year determined by evaluation of the Associate's progress, and the availability of funding; Senior awards may be for shorter periods. Summer Faculty awards are for 8-14 weeks, renewable for up to 3 successive summers. The tenure for Davies Fellows is three years and is divided between the U.S. Military Academy (for teaching) and the Army Research Laboratory (for research).
Annual stipends for recent doctoral recipients range from $45,000 to $80,000 depending upon the sponsoring laboratory, and are appropriately higher for senior awards. Graduate entry level stipends begin at $30,000 and are higher for additional experience.
Associates receive health insurance, financial support for allowable relocation expenses and an allowance for professional travel. The host laboratory provides facilities, supplies, equipment and other support services required for the conduct of the research program.
Additional Selection Criteria
Awards are available for scientists and engineers at all stages of their career. Applicants should hold, or anticipate receiving, an earned doctorate in science or engineering. Degrees from universities abroad should be equivalent in training and research experience to a degree from a U.S. institution. Many awards are open to foreign nationals as well to U.S. citizens.
How to Apply:
- Find Research Opportunities that match your interests by exploring the website: www.nationalacademies.org/rap
- Contact prospective Research Adviser(s) to discuss your interests. Research Adviser contact information is provided on the website. Note that you can apply up to three different laboratories during an application cycle.
- Refer to the website for specific application information including deadlines and instructions on how to apply.
- Apply online through the WebRAP application system. Follow application instructions carefully and make sure all supporting documents (transcripts, reference reports) are submitted.
Application deadlines are February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1 for reviews conducted in mid-March, mid-June, mid-September and mid-December, respectively. Awards are made based on review scores.
Detailed program information, including instructions on how to apply online, is available on the Fellowships Office website at www.nationalacademies.org/rap.
Questions should be directed to:
Fellowships Office, 500 Fifth Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
Tel: (202) 334-2760 E-mail: email@example.com
Applicants are typically notified of their award status 4-6 weeks following conclusion of review
For the application or more information go to:
- HGA and Dendel Scholarships
- COHEAO Scholarship
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- Tips For Writing a Scholarship Essay
- Dealspotr Couponing in College
- Market.biz Scholarship
- GoMK Computer Science Scholarship
- Next Generation Scholarship
- The NCJW LA Scholarship Program
- Hair Critics Scholarship
- Groza Learning Center Education Scholarship
- Outdoor Hobbyist Scholarship Program
- Pick My Baby Care Awarding Scholarship
- Soft Surroundings Essay Contest
- The PowerScout Smart Energy Home Scholarship Award
- Action Behavior Centers ABA Therapy Scholarship
- Dogbabe 2017 Scholarship Contest
- Adore Me Scholarships
- Arts and Culture Scholarship Program 2017
- TicketCity Annual College Scholarship Program
- Web Hosting Geeks.com Scholarship
- Well-Being Secrets Scholarship
- Hair Loss In Women Scholarship
- Houzz Scholarship Program
- Assisted Living Scholarship
- DocuTAP Scholarship Program
- TwirlyGirl FIDM Scholarship
- Green Building Technology Scholarship
- Green Voice Design Competition
- Giant Mommy Internet Marketing Scholarship