HGA and Dendel Scholarships
The Handweavers Guild of America, Inc., offers scholarships for each academic year through the HGA and Dendel scholarship funds. Students enrolled in accredited undergraduate or graduate programs in the United States, its possessions, and Canada are eligible. Over $4,000 in scholarships will be available for furthering education in the field of fiber arts, including training for research, textile history, and conservation. The HGA scholarships are restricted to tuition; the Dendel scholarship funds may also be applied toward such items as tuition, materials, or travel, on a case-by-case basis. Scholarships are awarded based on artistic and technical merit rather than on financial need.
Additional Selection Criteria
1. The HGA and Dendel Scholarships are administered by the Handweavers Guild of America, Inc., to further the education of students in the fiber fields. The education must take place in an accredited institution of learning in the United States, its possessions, or Canada.
The HGA Scholarship is restricted to tuition; the Dendel Scholarship funds may be used for materials or travel, as well as tuition.
2. Applications must be typed, computer-generated, or neatly printed. They must include the application form, official transcripts, no less than five and no more than sixteen digital images, prints of the images (4 x 6 inches or larger), and an image description sheet.
Unofficial transcripts are not acceptable and will disqualify the application.
3. Images must be submitted as digital images of completed work.
Digital Submissions: Please send a CD of digital images in the following file format:
JPEG file approximately 1800 pixels on the long side.
Label the files: Artist-Title_of_Work_One.jpeg (or .jpg), for example: Smith-NightSky.jpg, etc.Optional: An additional digital image (such as a detail or back view) may be included. This additional view must be presented in the file type listed above for example: Smith-NightSkyDetail.jpgImages may be color corrected to accurately represent the work but not enhanced in any way. Image editing is limited to cropping and adding or modifying a solid background of white, black, or gray.
HGA also requires prints of each image (4 x 6 inches or larger) and a completed image sheet.
Please test your CD before you submit it to make sure that it is readable. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all material is in a readable format. Corrupted or blank disks will be disqualified.
5. The accepted digital images will become the property of HGA and may be used for HGA publications and other promotional purposes. Non-accepted entry CDs will be destroyed. Incomplete entry forms will be returned to the student.
Applications must be postmarked by March 15 before the requested academic year. Those with later postmarks will not be opened. To expedite the timeliness of your entry, please do not send by certified mail.
6. The Scholarship Committee Chairman may disqualify incomplete or illegible applications.
7. The scholarship awards will be made in Summer of each year. Amounts of the awards are based on income from the scholarship funds.
8. Scholarship funds will be released only after notification of enrollment in the recipient's accredited school. The scholarship funds can be sent either to the student or to the bursar's office. If funds are sent directly to the student, the student may bear an income tax liability.
9. The HGA Scholarship may be used only for tuition.
The Dendel Scholarship may be used for tuition, materials or travel on a case-by-case basis. The Dendel Scholarship is weighted towards weaving students.
10. The scholarship funds must be spent within one year of the issue date on the check. Recipients agree to return all unspent money.
11. Within one year, a written report on the use of the money, accompanied by receipts and images of the work completed to date, must be sent to the Scholarship Committee, in care of the HGA office.
12. Visual materials sent by successful applicants may be retained and used at the discretion of the Handweavers Guild of America, Inc.
13. The decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final.
For application form, go to: http://www.weavespindye.org/hga-dendel-scholarship
Mail completed applications and other required materials to:
HGA Scholarship Chair
Handweavers Guild of America, Inc.
1255 Buford Highway, Suite 211
Suwanee, GA 30024
The application deadline is March 15 of each year.
March 15, 2017
For the application or more information go to:
- HGA and Dendel Scholarships
- COHEAO Scholarship
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- Groza Learning Center Education Scholarship
- Tips For Writing a Scholarship Essay
- Web Hosting Geeks.com Scholarship
- Houzz Scholarship Program
- Jay Kennedy Memorial Scholarship
- Hooked to Books Scholarship
- Assisted Living Scholarship
- DocuTAP Scholarship Program
- TwirlyGirl FIDM Scholarship
- Green Building Technology Scholarship
- Green Voice Design Competition
- GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program
- Giant Mommy Internet Marketing Scholarship
- London Scholarship
- A Sustainable Future Through Solar Energy Scholarship
- AATCC Foundation Scholarships
- InvestmentZen Financial Future Scholarship
- The BeArt-Presets Academic Scholarship Program
- Leap Clixx Annual Marketing Scholarship
- Ayn Rand 'Atlas Shrugged' Essay Contest
- Ayn Rand 'The Fountainhead' Essay Contest
- Sawinery DIY Scholarship
- The Technical Generation Scholarship
- Annual Community Volunteer Scholarship
- Dealhack Annual Community Volunteer Scholarship
- Experience, Strength & Hope Scholarship
- I. Magnin Scholarship