California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

Annual Amount

up to $5,000

Additional Selection Criteria

Chafee Foster Youth Eligibility Requirements
To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living a in out-of-home foster care placement, between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • Be a youth who was placed in out-of-home care by a tribe or tribal organization between the ages of 16-18.
    Youth who are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship or were adopted, are eligible only if the youth was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, at some point between the ages of 16 and 18.

In accordance with California Education Code 69519, A student’s receipt of a Chafee grant award shall not exceed five years (whether or not consecutive).

Pursuant to Assembly Bill 2506, starting with the 2017-18 award year, you can only receive your Chafee Grant if you attend a school that is either of the following:

  • A qualifying institution that is eligible for participation in the Cal Grant Program.
  • An institution that is not located in California with a three-year cohort default rate that is less than 15.5 percent and a graduation rate greater than 30 percent.

Application Process

How Do I Apply?
To be considered for a California Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:

  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online; or
  • If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), submit the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) online. (Dream Act Id required to submit a Chafee Grant Application)
  • Submit the California Chafee Grant Application online (GO TO:; and

Electronic submission of all required documents is preferred, but if you are unable to do so, you may print and submit the paper versions below:

Note: Forms are year-specific. Be sure to complete the applications that corresponds with the academic year you will be attending school.

For the application or more information go to: