Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship for Autism
The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. was touched by the story of 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo, an autistic boy who went missing after he wandered away from school in 2013. The outpouring of support and assistance that accompanied the search for Avonte was unprecedented. Although Avonte tragically did not make it home alive, they want to show the same support for the autistic community in memory of this extraordinary young man. That is why The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. is offering a $1,000 scholarship for a student living with autism, or whose loved one is living with autism.
As attorneys, they believe that education is not only a tool for personal development, but also the means by which individuals can better their own lives and ultimately shape and improve their communities. They know that earning a post-secondary degree can be the difference between a strong, successful career and a lifetime of hardship. They want that opportunity to be open to all students equally, especially those who have autism and often face obstacles that other students do not.
Additional Selection Criteria
The Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship is open to high-achieving students who meet two key criteria:
- Either you or a close family member has been diagnosed with a form of autism, including Asperger syndrome, and
- Applicant must be an enrolled student at an accredited college, university, or vocational school, or be accepted to begin school at an accredited college, university, or vocational school in the semester for which the application is being offered.
Additionally, applicants should submit an essay on one of the topics listed below with a minimum of 500 words and maximum of 1,000 words.
- Tell us about a time that you have had to overcome an obstacle as a person with autism that other people would not have had to face.
- Explain how your loved one’s autism has affected you and how you have adapted to help them.
- Answer this question: What do you feel is the biggest obstacle holding back people with autism today?
- Applicant must be an enrolled undergraduate student at an accredited college, university, vocational school, or be accepted to begin school as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university for the Fall 2019 semester.
- Applicant must submit their most recent official or unofficial transcript (i.e. high school, college, or post-graduate)
How to Apply:
To apply for the Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship for Autism, please complete the form on website at: https://www.perecman.com/avonte-oquendo/autism-scholarship/ and upload the following items in a .pdf or .doc file.
- An essay: minimum 500 words and maximum 1,000 words, on one of the three topics listed above.
- An official or unofficial academic transcript.
By sending in your application, you signify that you have read and are in agreement with their Terms & Conditions.
July 31, 2019
For the application or more information go to:
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- American Council of the Blind Scholarship
- Tips For Writing a Scholarship Essay
- Inheritance of Hope Legacy Scholarship
- HubShout Internet Marketing Scholarship
- WithIt Scholarship Program
- Montem Health and Wellness Scholarship
- Start Standing Scholarship
- I. Magnin Scholarship
- Chester Entrepreneurship Scholarship
- Ocean Awareness Art Contest
- Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship Program
- AEL Collegiate Essay Contest
- CAC Educational Scholarship Foundation
- Community Superhero Scholarship
- Delete Cyberbullying Scholarship Award
- Dolphin Galleries Scholarship
- GAPA Foundation Scholarships
- Houzz Scholarships
- Korean American Scholarship Foundation Scholarships
- You First Foundation Scholarship
- Capture the Dream Scholarship Fund
- American Home Design Scholarship Contest
- American Pavilion Annual General Education Scholarship
- Fraser Institute Essay Contest
- Lupus Inspiration Foundation for Excellence (L.I.F.E.) Scholarship
- Paradigm San Francisco Annual General Education Scholarship
- Goedeker's College Scholarships
- Beck Digital Web Design Scholarship
- Hair Loss Scholarship